Monday, April 25, 2011

6.54 miles today

Whew! I did 6.54 miles this afternoon. Not my best workout ever. I had to push it back because the weather was threatening to rain all weekend and I can't chance running or even walking in wet shoes. That would just be asking for a blister. SO....I waited until today. The weather cleared up nicely around 1pm or so. I went out at almost 3pm. There were more clouds rolling in but I thought I had enough time to get a long workout in. After all, I did feel like I needed to do this workout as my test to see how well I will be able to play after the Expedition Everest Challenge.

This was my first long workout where I was trying run/walking for half of it. I was supposed to do 6.73 miles according to Google maps. But had to bail at my last safety shortcut. I should have known my workout was doomed, as I had issues just getting ready. I left my iPod out in the car and had to run outside to get it. Then I spilled some of my pre-workout chocolate milk on my thighs while already in my workout capris and my bed. I had a nice hole in my lip there. It took me forever to get ready too. Not like that is much different for me. I have a whole routine I try to follow as it gets me in the mood to run.

The start of my workout went well. I briskly walked 5 minutes as always as a warm up. Then I started my intervals for the first 3 miles. I had programed my Garmin for 1 minute run with 4 minutes walk for 8 intervals. I wasn't sure how many I would be able to do in 3 miles. So I figured if I did one or two extra intervals it wouldn't hurt. I ended up doing most of my running up hill. Good training but no fun. Felt like every time a run break came up I was on an incline. I tried out an interesting way of doing hills that Mike told me about. You don't worry about your speed going up hill, put only a little effort into it. Then you lean forward on the downhill and let gravity carry you. Was sort of fun and did make the downhills easier on my shins. Boy, did I fly down hill. So, 3 miles pass and my watch says one more interval. Great! I can just finish this and then finish out the workout with 3.5ish miles of walking. Little did I know I was already on my last interval. So when my watch beeped I thought it wanted me to run but it was really beeping for my cool down. So I ran and then noticed I had already been running for more than a minute. Heh! I look at my watch and I was done with intervals. I worked to keep my intervals similar to last time.

On to walking. So the clouds had already rolled in faster than I had hoped. I felt like I was racing the rain. I worked to keep my pace around 14:30. But no luck it sprinkled on me a couple of times and threatened to rain harder. At least it didn't get worse. At one point I was walking under blue sky with clouds to my left. The wind was blowing the rain on to me. Eventually, I turned right and walked far enough away from the weather to get away from the rain. I didn't get very wet at all. It was sort of nice because the rain was nice and cool. Eventually I reach the home stretch. My thighs were starting to feel really tired and used up so I slowed my pace to around 15:30 to 16 minutes. I still felt like I was racing the weather though so I didn't want to slow too much. Just before mile 6 something messed up happened. At first it felt like my left thigh tightened or even cramped, but then the pain settled in my left knee and hip. It was horrid. I thought I had screwed my IT band or something like that. I HAD to slow down. There was no choice. So, that is why I bailed before going the whole distance.

However, that last little bit wasn't all bad. My left hip and knee were still killing me. But, as I am walking through the parking lot I see my car back out of the visitor spot I had left it in (because someone was parked in my assigned spot when I got home) and into my spot. I knew Mike had gotten home and was being sweet to me. So I whip out my cell (which I had brought in case of injury or rain as a safety measure) and text the hubby. I tell him to wait for me. And here he comes walking towards me. But he thought it was funny because the pain was making me "waddle", so he teases me a bit. That is until he realizes I am in real pain and am barely continuing to walk. He gets me in the house, I crash on the couch and he gets me vitamin I and ice packs. Mike also brings me my recovery chocolate milk and some mandarin oranges. Such a catch, my husband.

Of course, it turns out my pain was not from my workout at all but from the slightly wacky weather we were having. I think we had a clash of two fronts and they were messing with my joints, as does happen. Just happened at the very end of the workout. SUCK! But after my shower the bigger front had moved in and I only have a little soreness and stiffness in my left knee. Stupid weather.

Oh well, I have now proved to myself that I can do the race the weekend after next and still play at the park afterward. YAY ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment