Sunday, May 1, 2011

Running with Mike

Yesterday, Mike and I did 3.16 miles. I wanted him to get a feel for my pace before we race as a team at the Expedition Everest Challenge. I am still struggling with finding the perfect pace while running. I am either too slow or too fast. It seems my jogging pace is slower than 11 minutes per mile and my running pace is faster than 10 minutes per mile. So I find myself constantly struggling to either speed up or slow down a tiny bit. I am maintaining my goal speed which is being somewhere between 10 and 11 minutes per mile. This might work itself out as I increase my run time and perhaps find that right pace.

We finished our run in 42 minutes and 32 seconds. Our average pace was 13:26 minutes per mile. Mike had a little trouble keeping up with my walking pace. He is used to walking fast for 30 seconds, not for 4 minutes. But it was great! We started out walking and chatting a bit. Then we put our music on and started our run walk intervals. Well, I listened to music. Mike listened to podcast that he kept chuckling at. I had a little trouble with keeping up with my breathing. It was cold and my nose was running, so I had a little bit of post nasal drip. Along with my nose being stuffed up I was breathing all through my mouth. This makes it hard for me not to pant. At least for the race I shouldn't have any of these problems. Being a sea level and in warm Florida weather (even at night) should make my breathing a non issue. I can't wait for the race, less than a week.

My feet were fine after the run. But I made a mistake in that I chose to keep my running shoes and the same socks on for the rest of the day. I have a hole in my ankle that might be from that or something else and some of my pinky and ring toes got sore. Good lesson though. Changing my socks will be key at Disney. I sort of knew that from that last couple of trips. I always changed my socks at our mid day breaks and any time we returned to our hotel room. I was planning on bringing spare sets of socks (pre-baby powdered) to the race. Now I know I need to in order to be able to play at the park afterwards. A fresh set of socks before the race and then after the race should make all the difference. I just hope the hole my ankle wasn't from my shoes. My running shoes were the only shoes I was planning on wearing at Disney.

All in all my workout was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment