Saturday, July 16, 2011

6.1 miles

Okay, now that I have spent 5 minutes peeling off all the tape on my feet. I am not sitting here gulping my chocolate milk and thinking of what to type. Well, I did 6.1 miles today. I walked the first 3 about about a 14 minute per mile pace or two. Maybe a little slower than that. Then I did my normal run/walk for the last 3.1 miles. Or at least I did my 12 sets of run/walk that I would do in a normal 3.1 mile run.

Oh man is it hard to do the run/walk as the 2nd half of the workout. I had to pep talk myself a decent amount until around mile 2 when I hit my 2nd wind. But it is good training for pushing myself at the end of the half in Jan.

So I did 6.1 miles in 1:22:53.94 with an average pace of 13:36/mi. Not too shabby. I talked to my dad this week and my parents are still planning on being there for my first half. My dad is planning on doing the half with me and we talked pace some. But it dawned on me while I was walking the first half that I am training at a much higher altitude than he is. So he should train for a slightly faster pace than me, since running at sea level is going to be much easier for me. I think about the weirdest stuff when I am alone on my walks.

I planned the circuit so I would hopefully get the most shade for the 2nd half of the run. It also helped that at the 3/4 of a mile or so the sun was going in an out behind clouds and a breeze had picked up. The beginning of my circuit also had a nice breeze. I was just blocked from a breeze for a good part of the running part unfortunately. I also bought a white hat to run in. I hate the look of white hats and for some reason it didn't dawn on me that the white keeps your head cooler than a colored hat. So after a few runs where my head was just way too hot under my bright blue hat, I decided I needed a white hat. I can't wear a visor because my hair is so thin I would burn my scalp. At least with my hair this short I will. When my hair is long enough to pull back into a pony tail I can get away with no hat or a visor. Anyway this is turning into a stream of consciousness instead of a well thought out post. Back to my run.

My legs were a little fatigued this morning from doing EA Active but it was mostly muscles I don't use running. They warmed up during the walking portion and didn't feel fatigued again until the running part. All in all it was a good 6.1 miles but I am definitely at the point where I need to up my mileage by a half mile every week from now on. That is fine as that is what I planned on. Well, off to do my EA Active Limber Up workout to stretch out (dynamic warm up stretches and then cool down stretches).

No comments:

Post a Comment