Monday, June 27, 2011

Easy

Yesterday, Mike, a bunch of friends and I went out hiking around Jamestown. It was only 1.37 miles and we went nice and slow so we did it in 1:05:32.27. But it was enough to put some fatigue in my calves this morning. Nonetheless I went for a run this morning. After reading Jeff Galloway's 18 week guide to a half marathon for RunDisney, I decided I needed to reduce my walk time before increasing my run time. So I dropped back down to 1 minute run and dropped my walk time to 3 minutes. It meant I have hit my best Colorado time yet.

I did 3.10 miles in 40:25.87. Though that time probably needs a few seconds added on because I didn't have enough intervals in my workout and so I tried to add one more but when I hit the lap key my Garmin told me the workout was done. So I had to hit the timer start again. Luckily, it picked up where I had left off but it took a few seconds to realize the timer wasn't going to continue. But still even 40:30 is faster than my fastest Colorado time. I am not counting the Expedition Everest Challenge because according to my Garmin we didn't even run 3 miles for the race portion. Anyway, my average pace was 13:03/mi. Only 1 second faster than my fastest average pace. But it was enough.

The run felt really easy. I was breathing fairly easy. I still have to think about my breathing because if I don't I still have a tendency to pant. I think this is left over from having asthma in middle school and high school. But it felt really good and I felt really strong. Even though my workout schedule has not be regular at all. My feet are doing great. Right now I am basically blister free. There are a few small ones that pop up during a workout and then dry out overnight. And I have a few hot spots on my feet but no major blisters. Definitely nothing debilitating. Feels great!.

I think on Wednesday I will try 1 minute run and 2 minutes walk. I want to see where it get's to be a struggle again and then work on it until it get's easy again. My goal is for 1 minute run/1 minute walk to be easy. Then I will work on upping my run time. It is funny a 1/1 run/walk ratio should be a 13 minutes per mile pace. I am almost at a 13 minutes per mile pace already. But I think I will remain right around that pace until I up my run time. So after I get to 1/1 and it get's easy then I will up my run time by 30 seconds. Jeff Galloway says the next ratio should be 2/1 but with my trouble breathing I think it will be better to up it slower. I was shooting for a 12 minute pace for the race but it looks like I might be able to do even better than that.

Now I just need to get back to my distance workouts. Those will be all walking until I hit 6 miles again, then I will do half run/walk and half walk. Mike suggested I start doing my run/walk portion during the 2nd half of the distance so I start training for getting through the 2nd half of the half marathon. It was good I changed up my workouts. Now I am more excited about training again. That run felt soooo good. Well, off to shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment