Wednesday, June 29, 2011

SUCCESS!

So Monday after running completely out of Body Glide and finally getting tired of my tape failing (not that it was letting me get blisters but it was working it's way off my feet) I went to the running store. I had to ask where the Body Glide was in larger than teeny containers (though have to remember those next time for carrying around Disney) so I ended up asking the younger girl helping me if they had any sort of tape that was meant to protect from blisters. We looked and they didn't so she asked a guy who was about my age. He said he could tell I had sensitive skin and that I should try those expensive toe socks. My socks are about middle of the road socks. They are a cotton blend instead of synthetic but are designed to wick moisture for Diabetics in tropical climates. They work pretty well and I have a gazillion of them so I need to kill them before I buy new socks. Or at least use them until I get into much higher mileage. Besides I don't want to spend that kind of money on running socks just yet. The girl who was helping me went to the register to ring me up and on a whim suggested I try climbers tape. I figured what the heck and went to REI. I found the climbers tape and it seemed really similar to the medical tape I really liked. It was only $4.33 total for a fairly big roll. So I got some. And Success! I tested it on Monday by wrapping one set of toes and plastering it over two spots that tend to get blisters. I wore those all day with shoes on and while I know it wasn't as good as trying it on a run it did stay put where the stuff I was currently using would have started to peel up. So I tried it today. The tape is flexible and probably the most comfortable of all the types I have tried. I had a few edges peel up but I think I can solve that buy cutting instead of ripping the tape. That will keep the adhesive more intact. So yeah, I think I finally have my routine to keep my feet relatively blister free. That may change when I get into high mileage again.

So my run. I tried 1 minute run/2 minutes walk. It was a challenge but not too much of a struggle. I ran for 12 minutes total. That is the most I have run so far. So I will be continuing with the 1/2 ratio until it get's easy. Then I will be down to the Jeff Galloway number of a 1/1 for 13 minutes per mile (though I am a bit faster than that). After that I can start increasing my run time. I will probably increase it by 30 seconds instead of a minute each time but still that will be good. So now it is just mileage I have to work on. That is Friday.

I did 3.12 miles in a total time of 39:58.96 with an average pace of 12:49/mile. That is my fastest pace yet. Felt good but was a challenge. I was overheated and worn out by the time I got home but am feeling good now just a half hour or so later. I think once the this run/walk ratio gets a little easier I will work on getting my run and walk speeds more consistent. I was decently consistent but I would like to be even better. Get a good feel for it with each ratio change so I don't have to keep checking my Garmin. Well, off to drink my chocolate milk and shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment